So this is such a great update I have to blog about it, I have been in many projects involving migrating from VMware to Hyper-V and there of course many options to choose from there. Alas Microsoft had its own Virtual Machine Converter but didn’t have support for the latest version.
Microsoft today released a new version of Virtual MAchine Converter which contains the following updates:
With the release today, you will be able to access many updated features including:
- Added support for vCenter & ESX(i) 5.5
- VMware virtual hardware version 4 – 10 support
- Linux Guest OS migration support including CentOS, Debian, Oracle, Red Hat Enterprise, SuSE enterprise and Ubuntu.
We have also added two great new features:
- On-Premises VM to Azure VM conversion: You can now migrate your VMware virtual machines straight to Azure. Ease your migration process and take advantage of Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure with a simple wizard driven experience.
- PowerShell interface for scripting and automation support: Automate your migration via workflow tools including System Center Orchestrator and more. Hook MVMC 2.0 into greater processes including candidate identification and migration activities.
So alot of great new features which should make it even easier to convert Virtual Machines. Also another important factor here is this.
At this time, we are also announcing the expected availability of MVMC 3.0 in fall of 2014. In that release we will be providing physical to virtual (P2V) machine conversion for supported versions of Windows.
Since Microsoft removed this option from SCVMM in R2 release its great that it is coming back. You can download the tool from here –> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42497